Historic house move brings history in progress to East End

 One of the East End houses saved from demolition when it was moved to a new site over the weekend. /  photo by Jim Parsons

One of the East End houses saved from demolition when it was moved to a new site over the weekend. / photo by Jim Parsons

A real parade of homes passed through Houston’s East End Saturday night, when preservationists Michael Skelly and Anne Whitlock moved six Victorian-era houses to prevent their demolition for new townhouse construction. The historic houses are now safely located on property the couple owns surrounding the former Fire Station No. 2 (1909) on the corner of Sampson and Preston.

All of the historic buildings, including the fire station, will be renovated for residential use. The largest of the houses, pictured above, will be restored on its own lot. One of smaller houses will be used as a guesthouse adjacent to the fire station. The remaining four houses will be connected in pairs to form two single-family homes. Past Good Brick Award winner Janusz Design is the architect for the project.
 
A group of well wishers accompanied the homes as they progressed through the East End, including contractor/Good Brick Award winner Bob Fretz, Jr., Preservation Houston Board Member Deborah Keyser, Preservation Houston Executive Director Stephanie Ann Jones, the Houston Chronicle’s Jeff Cohen, H-E-B President Scott McClelland and his wife Soraya, and staff members from the City of Houston historic preservation office.
 
According to Cherry House Moving, it was the first time the company had moved six houses at one time.