A new owner has purchased the Desel-Boettcher Building (1912) at 901 Commerce Avenue in the Main Street/Market Square Historic District and plans to rehabilitate the building, which was damaged last year in the flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey. The property was the home of the Old Spaghetti Warehouse for more than four decades.
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner and Rice University President David Leebron announced plans April 12 to repurpose the landmark Sears building in Midtown as a hub for tech startups, part of a larger proposal to develop an innovation district along Main Street between downtown and the Texas Medical Center in collaboration with a variety of educational and research institutions and businesses.
The City of Houston has placed the historic Heights waterworks on the market. The two-acre site between West 19th and West 20th streets at Nicholson contains a 750,000-gallon brick reservoir building from 1928 that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, a 1939 Art Deco pumping station built by the Works Progress Administration and a 1949 pumping station. The property anchors the west end of the shopping district along West 19th Street, the main commercial street in Houston Heights, which is experiencing significant retail redevelopment.