Landmarks

Continuing threats to historic River Oaks Shopping Center

Weingarten Realty Investors has submitted requests for certificates of appropriateness to demolish one portion and significantly alter another section of the historic River Oaks Shopping Center. The Art Deco complex is a designated City of Houston Landmark, so proposed changes to the buildings must go before the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission (HAHC). The affected buildings at 1964 and 1973 West Gray Avenue (1948, Raymond H. Brogniez) were constructed during a post-World War II expansion and complemented the modernistic design of the original shopping center (1937, Nunn & McGinty).

Anticipated buyer of historic Heights waterworks to outline development proposals during public meeting

Alliance Residential Group, the anticipated buyer of the historic Heights waterworks, is holding a public meeting on Tuesday evening, November 29, to give interested individuals the opportunity to hear advance proposals for the site's development. Alliance submitted the highest cash offer out of 19 bids received by the City of Houston, which, by statute, much accept the highest offer.

City Council approves historic landmark designations

Houston has two new designated historic landmarks and one new protected landmark through the assistance of Preservation Houston's Historic Neighborhood Resources Program. Houston City Council has approved landmark designations for the Elwyn & Imola Carroll House in River Oaks and the Frank H. Roberts House in Riverside Terrace as well as protected landmark status for the Hirzel-von Haxthausen House in First Ward.

Historic Heights waterworks available for redevelopment

The City of Houston has placed the historic Heights waterworks on the market. The two-acre site between West 19th and West 20th streets at Nicholson contains a 750,000-gallon brick reservoir building from 1928 that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, a 1939 Art Deco pumping station built by the Works Progress Administration and a 1949 pumping station. The property anchors the west end of the shopping district along West 19th Street, the main commercial street in Houston Heights, which is experiencing significant retail redevelopment.